Tuesday 21 July 2015

Day 202 2015: 'The World Turns'...

Day 202: ...and then some

And so approacheth the second semester, soon. Today was a version of orientation week for mid-year entry students, not quite the hullaballoo of the February start but I guess the new students don't want to miss out. And so we are required to attend information sessions, just in case students turn up. 

Well, they didn't turn up to ours so...my colleagues and I met and discussed the forthcoming semester. Preparation. It doesn't seem that long since we finished the last semester...and so 'The World Turns'.

An interesting expression don't you think? Yes, of course it does, but I guess we don't think of it all that much. But enough of the philosophical leanings. 

At the end of the work day I had to head back down the highway to get to the city in time for a seminar on politics at the library...'quelle surprise' I hear you say dear reader. Yes, politics and democracy in Queensland and a chance to hear one of my favourite writers, journalist Matthew Condon and colleague Lorann Downer. It's never boring, really. 

The earlyish finish gave me an opportunity to step out into the early evening South Bank and since I was so close to GOMA, I suddenly decided to continue practising my small aperture, long exposure exercises of the weekend tutorial and I decided I wanted to try for the sculpture outside GOMA, Michael Parekowhai's 'The World Turns'. 

The kuril, by night

No flash

And along came the CityCat


It engages with the kuril, the eponymous water rat of Kurilpa Point and an elephant. It was controversial at the time, but I've come to like it, even appreciate it. And the night view isn't too bad either. 

[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 75-300mm, 28-80mm, 7.18pm-7.25pm]