Wednesday 29 July 2015

Day 210 2015: What the silhouette tells...

Day 210: ...the stillness reflects

The question this morning was whether or not to get up and at it early, my usual 5.00am start, or delay it all a little knowing that this day will be the first Wednesday for the next three months or so of late finishes...really late finishes. 

People who work nine-to-five, Monday to Friday, probably don't have to worry too much about such things. But such is the life of a lecturer that the natural expectation is that we shall be available for teaching hours anywhere between 8.00am and 9.00pm. Yep, that's the spread and it is the luck of the timetable lottery each semester as to where you end up. I have to say, mine is all over the place this semester. Pretty rubbish actually. But, there you go. 

Anyway, dear reader, I was on the verge of staying in for another few minutes when I glanced outside: 

You know the tune...kookaburra sits in the old gum tree...

...one of my favourite scenes, the silhouette of the kookaburra on the old gum tree with the light behind it. I don't care what time I'm due to finish work, I really like this effect. 

And then, in motion...

But before I could finish singing...away

Stoked, as the young people say, stoked I was. (Actually, 'stoked' was lingo when I was young, once, too.)

There were a couple of worthy snaps at work too, one just as I arrived, the lake its usual hive of activity...

I'd like to think we've a juvenile swan here...but maybe not
And the other, the stillness of the lake at sunset as I went for a walk before the lecture started, a moment to gather my thoughts to talk about International Security and how to make the world a better place. 

Still, smoke, sunset, onto 'security'

We should just all take photos, breathe in and breathe out I reckon. 


[Camera : Canon, EOS 60D, 75-300mm, 6.14am-6.15am, 10.01am; 28-80mm, 5.38pm]