Friday 31 July 2015

Day 212 2015: And the ghosts may be heard...

Day 212: ...though you don't know what you've got, 'til it is gone

I'm probably breaking some rules there, dear reader, using lyrics of songs like that. But there was an odd feeling today as I reached the end of the first week of semester 2 with all its trials and tribulations but found myself at Dicky Beach this afternoon. 

It was a planned visit of sorts. Yesterday, the authorities removed the remnants of the wreck of the SS Dicky. I had visited earlier in the year, you might recall dear reader, so I was always interested in going back to see what it looked like. When I realised we were expecting a full(ish) moon rising as well, I figured it would be worth a trip down to the beach for that alone. When I saw the moonrise was 5.11pm, my first thought was about the perfect light and colour opportunity at that time of the day, photographically speaking. And no clouds on the horizon.

In Japan, it is not unusual to visits places of historical interest only to find the 'ato' (跡), the remnants of a building, often a castle or temple or the like. I heard they were removing all the visible ribs and bits and leaving the parts of the Dicky that were safely covered by the sand. I guess I expected to see 'something'. 

I wasn't expecting to see, well, nothing. Just tyre tracks. Maybe there are some artefacts under the sand. The other people who were there seemed to share a sense of 'it's gone' too. Of course, it was removed for good and sensible reasons, it struck me as dangerous back in January. But still...

Here's my tribute to the day after the remains of the Dicky were removed...



First view...all gone


And up came the moon

The moon rose as the waves rose

Suspended

...and the...ghosts?

Moonlight on the shore

A ship passing...

A remnant? A branch?

Sun setting, northwards

The tide starts to come in...all trace of the Dicky begins to disappear...

Tractor marks

Going...going...

As the moon watched over

It's been a perplexing week at work, I have to spend the weekend rewriting a course because the bookshop ordered the wrong text, I really have to get cracking on some other writing projects and then, it begins all over again next Monday. But at least I get to finish my week with a full moon, and a ghostly wreck, on a beach. In 'winter'. Really. 

Regrets? I've had a few...but after this view today, too few to mention. 

[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 28-80mm, 75-300mm, 5.09pm-5.42pm]