Friday 7 August 2015

Day 219 2015: Ekka! Ekka! Ekka!

Day 219: ...oi! oi! oi!

I know, I shouldn't be so base, dear reader. It is out of character. But The Ekka just brings out the exuberance in one sometimes. And today, being the first day, and having some time after work, was the day we decided to go. Plus, there was great anticipation to see if my pics got picked. 

And...

And...

AND...

They did. 

All four of them. Well, the four I put into the restricted colour class. A first for me. Third attempt and 100%. Up from 25% last year and zero the year before. The pastel, hand-coloured one didn't make it, but that might have been because there wasn't quite a class to enter in. Next year perhaps.

Anyway, after checking the Fine Arts display, there is a checklist for Ekka business. I'm lucky that I get to go with a friend of mine who co-authored the Ekka history. This is truly the person you must attend the Ekka with...everything is known and noted. It is a lot of fun.

Since we arrived a little late in the day, properly, by train, (though doors closed on so many things around 7.00pm, which we thought odd) we had to unlock achievement levels fairly quickly: first stop the pics...then we opted for the Strawberry Sundae while strolling around, then corn on the cob, watching some the the action in the main show ground, then ...ta-daa...dagwood dog, from a specific stall, designated by the Ekka historian, then...taking a seat on the hill to wait for the fireworks. 

Naturally, I was obliged to tweet and IG the food experiences, which I did (twitter: @psephy; IG @psephyspix). Some of the other aspects unfolded thus: 

Ekka : tradition

Because it was there...

Light ball with dancer...'new' fireworks

Trad fireworks with laser

More fireworks

And still they went...

Fireworks and laser...to the future

Lighter elements...
and yes, I need to practice my fireworks

Slow motion, light-lined man on a horse...(really, as is, no edits)

To sideshow alley

Roll-up, roll-up
And then, off to buy the Bertie Beetle showbag, and we were away. 

Bertie's expanding on the merchandise front

It took many years after moving to Brisbane for me to warm to the Ekka, being a girl brought up on the Sydney Easter Show and all. But I've grown rather accustomed to all the fun of the fair. (Even if it is changing...)

Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 28-80mm, 7.54pm-8.57pm]