Sunday 9 August 2015

Day 221 2015: Another look at the Ekka...

Day 221: ...long day's journey, home

After yesterday's trip down the Coast, this morning it was up the Coast to work for the open day. So off I went. I also packed the clarinet because I had a clarinet choir concert later at Boondall, and my cam, because I was due for another go at the Ekka.

So the day unfolded. I got to work, early. Only to be told that...I wasn't required. Lucky I had some work work to do otherwise the 100km drive would have been...well, let's not go there. This is a family blog. 

So, work done, off I trekked to Boondall. I sort of know where it is but it is not a part of town I travel to too often, especially from the north coast. Made it, with about 15 minutes to spare. Not too bad. Nice place, nice people and great afternoon tea spread. Well worth it. 

And then, concert done, it was back to the Ekka, for a bit of a follow up from the shortened Friday visit. This time the focus was on the Fine Arts, Cookery and, most importantly, the agricultural displays we couldn't see on Friday.


Sideshow Alley and the setting sun, from the train platform

I've loved the ag exhibits ever since the Royal Easter Show in Sydney. Then, they seemed so huge and there were always so many, or so it seemed to this little kid. These days, there aren't as many, but I reckon they are still put together with just as much love and attention to detail as they always have. My tribute, by way of thanks to all our rural cousins for all they do. 


All the onions and the ANZAC theme

Mmmm, produce

Grains and seeds, yes, grains and seeds

I never tire of the effort put in
(even when it is the same every year...)

The sheep with moving parts...

All the produce

More produce, with the blur of a biplane (if you look closely)

All 261.5 kg

Beaut effort

Aaand, that's all folks, for this year

Of course, I'm still not convinced that the exhibits should be allowed to have mechanical moving parts, just as I think imagine a quilt should be sewn, by hand, to qualify as a patchwork quilt. But then, I do get my photographs developed at a camera shop, so really...where do we draw the line? 

The Ekka. That's me done for another year. 

[Camera : Canon EOS 60D, 28-80mm, 5.46pm-6.06pm]