Tuesday 1 September 2015

Day 244 2015: Seeking the Spring moon...

Day 244: ...discover pelicans by moonlight

Really. 

I realised Spring had sprung this morning, not by the traditional calendar turning, not by the blossoming of blooms (let's face it, climate change is stuffing up that so badly, our jacarandas bloomed in May...). No, dear reader, by that much more contemporary form of communication: my Instagram account. Really. Everyone (in the southern hemisphere at least) was posting lovely Spring-inspiring posts. The best I managed from my garden was the bougainvillea...but it blooms sporadically, all year around. 

So driving to work, I thought 'there must be something at work that will signal "Spring", something I could take and post and share...'. OK, nesting, protective plovers are not the answer. And then, work. And more work. And then a visit to my aunt's place for dinner. 

That really just left me with the possibility of the (just less than) full moon rising from somewhere along the Pumicestone Passage. And voila...there it was...

The moon rose...

...and there was movement...

...and I looked again...
And then, as I looked, I notice some movement on the water...and blow me down, pelicans! 

...pelicans streaking across the Passage

Pelicans being rather active on the water at nine o'clock at night. Who'd have thought. 

A pelican by moonlight (look closely, an impression)

OK, not exactly Spring, but a bloomin' marvellous sight (for tired eyes and mind) nonetheless. 

[Camera : Canon 60D, 75-300mm, 8.43pm-9.01]