Saturday 3 October 2015

Day 272 2015: Back to the future...

Day 272: ...or, where it all began

I try to get up to Japan, for research purposes, at least once a year. Teaching about the country and its politics always seems a little more authentic when I've had my feet on the ground for a little while. I also get to catch up on what's been written about my areas of research as well as just sensing the 'zeitgeist' for just a short while. 

Today was a return to a place I visited last year, one of our partner institutions. I was asked to be a guest at the university's 90th Anniversary celebrations. Along the way I was asked to give a guest lecture...one thing led to another and today I was here for an informal interview process for a position I've been offered. Just like that. 

Nice to be wanted I suppose. 

At the end of the day I walked out the front gate of the university to take in, again, as I had done with curiosity ten months ago and now with a different sense, the area around the university. It will form a central focus of the Tokyo Olympics in 2020. I guess now I'll have a front seat as it were. 


The Other Wheel, as I'll come to know it

Architectural asides


I might soon be a little more 'part of the place' next time I'm here but I still marvel at the buildings and the space. 

Quite intriguing. 

[Camera : Canon EOS60D, 28-80mm, 5.07pm]