Saturday 31 October 2015

Day 304 2015: We need to walk about something...

Day 304: ... and talk, at the same time.

#SayWelcome

Day started with one of those appliance repair jobs that took less time than it takes to drink a cup of coffee (I was drinking a cup of coffee for testing purposes) and cost as much as a return ticket to Melbourne...grrr.

As I sat contemplating life over a second cup of coffee, I remembered the welcome to refugees and asylum seeker event that was to be held in Brisbane this morning. I had put it out of my mind thinking I'd still be waiting for aforemetioned appliance to be fixed. But no, plenty of time. 

Then, existential question to self: do I attend these events because I share the concerns and aspirations of the organisers and participants or, do I see this as an easy photo opportunity, a diversion from roses and frangipanis? 

Posters spoke...

Puppies spoke...

Crowds (about 2000) listened...

Former refugee, now Dr Homa Forotan, spoke of her life escaping Afghanistan
Sitting in front of the Yayoi Kusama public artwork, Supreme Court forum

Fabulous young artists, Laurette N James

...made us dance

...made us listen

The Imam from Holland Park Mosque

Onlookers, long walkers

And so we must

It is hard to split the difference sometimes I suppose, suffice to say I do, deep down, want a kinder, better, more generous society and...

I guess I want to record these moments in our collective stories. We always need to talk about these things, and today, we showed we could even walk and talk (and even sing and dance) at the same time...

[Camera : Canon EOS60D, 28-80mm, 11.41am-12.53pm]