Saturday 12 December 2015

Day 344 2015: To see the sea...

Day 344: ...is to hear the sea

Semester is officially over, but work isn't. The end of the year is approaching...but the end of work isn't.  We don't do 'holidays' very well in my part of the work sphere. But one thing I do do without fail is invite my language teaching colleagues along to an end-of-semester lunch in appreciation of their work for the semester. 

Today we voted for fish and chips. Not just any fish and chips mind you, but the fish as is it served up fresh at the Mooloolaba fish markets. There have to be some advantages to working on the Coast (given I don't get to go surfing as often as I once imagined...). 

This was my last lunch with the team too. For next year I will be elsewhere...

Nor did I take my camera with me for the lunch. Sometimes it is nice to just lunch and chat...

...actually, for the first time in...well probably three times 365 days (almost) of #project365, I forgot to pack the cam. Never mind, I thought, I'll head home in time to capture the Christmas lights in the city. I've seen some great pics via social media so I thought I'd join the party. 

So with plan B sorted, home went I later in the day. 

Luckily, I have Plan C...Plan Cowrie. Yes, you see dear reader, my best plan (B) came unstuck at the thunder and lightning moments which ended the day. In the end there wasn't much rain, but I guess it wasn't worth the risk. 

So, it was to 'home: still life'.

Cowries three

Alike, but not

I like cowrie shells. Very much. My grandmother had them at her house, by the ocean in Sydney and was always encouraging me to put them to my ear 'to hear the sea'...funnily enough, I'm pretty sure I used to be hearing the actual sea, with the other ear. I think we were mutually humouring each other. 

But even now, just sometimes, I'll put the cowrie to my ear, 'to hear the sea' and remember my nan.

[Camera : Canon EOS60D, 28-80mm, 7.27pm, 7.28pm]