Monday 11 January 2016

Day 11 2016: Ground Control to Major Tom...

Day 11: ...there's something wrong

So driving home today from visiting my mum, the news broke, David Bowie dead at 69. Cancer. Bloody cancer. As I write, I'm listening to the radio playing nothing but Bowie for the next 14 hours. Right now, now playing, is his song 'China Girl'. As a budding Asianist back when it first came out, I wasn't all that impressed with the title...we were young hip and cool wannabe scholars, we weren't going for this stereotyping.

This morning, the sun caught my Duranta, that's right, the 'Geisha Girl' the name of which, for similar reasons, I don't particularly like. In fact, whenever I'm planting or pruning this tree, it's Bowie's 'China Girl' that goes through my head. Why did I photograph it this morning? 

A weeping China Geisha Girl

And then later, after lunch with mum, the Jonathon Livingstons were out in force across the road...but this isn't a blurred one really, there's just 'something in my eye'. 

Across the water, across the sky, there's a starman...


Ground Control to Major Tom: take good care of him for us. Thanks, the Bowie generation. 

[Camera : Canon EOS60D, 70-300mm, 5.44am, 1.01pm, 11 January 2016]