Saturday 2 January 2016

Day 2 2016: You don't know what you've got...

Day 2: ...until you're almost gone...

When I came to Brisbane to study (about three decades and a bit ago), I imagined I'd study, graduate and head back from whence I'd come, to teach at high schools on the Gold Coast. Well, things changed (as happens at uni) and study was followed by more study in Tokyo, back to Brisbane, back to Tokyo, Canberra, Brisbane, Tokyo, Brisbane...you get the picture. 

Brisbane is pretty much my city of choice these days and I enjoy getting out and about with the camera. As you will aware, dear reader, I like going out by the Bay often. It's the water, the birds, the boats, the mangroves, the air (and sometimes the fish and chips). 

Now I did venture out, for the first time, to Cleveland Point just a few weeks ago and was quite enamoured by the sights, the history, the lighthouse, the birds, the crabs, the fish and chips, etc. And there was just 'something in the air' that made me want to head out there again this afternoon. Yes, this project drives such choices occasionally (how many currawongs and loris can you, dear reader, bear?) but today I thought to ask a friend and prof of Queensland history along for a professional opinion of my latter day discovery (and fish and chips...). 

Wispy clouds (and lighthouse)

Crabs present

Beyond the monument to commemorate
Cleveland's 100th anniversary of white settlement (1850-1950)

Pine tree (and lighthouse) 

Step lightly

Tidal ripples

In flight entertainment

A few of us waited for the sunset

Tidal black stump

The most hitchcockesque seagull I've seen in real life
(no filter, I think the actual light influenced the outcome)

The light was somewhat different compared with a few weeks ago, and it was somewhat more crowded. But a delightful spot nonetheless. And it also became apparent that as I pack up to leave this marvellous city again, I really must get out more, just for the sheer pleasure of what this place has to offer. At least until I return...

[Camera : Canon EOS60D, 28-80mm, 70-300mm, 5.19pm-6.20pm, 2 January 2016]