Saturday 9 January 2016

Day 8 2016: The one that got away...

Day 8: ...or, always carry your camera

It was, you might say, one of those prophetic conversations I had with my neighbour earlier today. (We of course have many prophetic conversations, the best conversations are had over the back fence, but I digress...) We were just admiring the butterflies and birds that proliferate in our shared garden spaces. 'My camera should be an additional bodily appendage' I said after lamenting I didn't have it on me to capture the butterfly, 'I should always have my camera on me' I added, having thought that a camera as an appendage would look a little odd.

Anyway, what you see here, dear reader, is the pheasant coucal that got away... You see, I stepped out over lunchtime to run a few messages. On the way back, my lovely neighbour tweeted (appropriately) a picture of the coucal...ON THE BACK DECK!! My back deck! It's never been up there before. Imagine what a pic of the day that would have been...

Instead, I give you little things I noticed in the backyard when I did come out with camera as appendage hoping we'd see the coucal again. 

Not, caught out

Frangipani, so busy with new leaves, it's forgotten to flower...

So although I missed the catch of the day, true to this project's aims, there's always something to small and worth noticing and sometimes that's just as important as keeping your eye out for the ones that might get away...in a prophetic sort of way.  

[Camera : Canon EOS60D, 70-300mm, 3.20pm, 3.36pm, 8 January 2016]