Saturday 18 June 2016

Day 160 2016: The 'break' you have...

Day 160: ...when, well, you don't actually have one

Hitting the road early today. Not that there's anything new about that. But heading in a slightly different direction. Actually, a vastly different direction...

I'm up and at it to catch the shinkansen (aka the bullet train) out of Tokyo down to Wakayama, well Osaka actually and then onto Wakayama on another train. Lucky I like trains...

You see, it is the end of 'term 1' at my university as it explores this new way of dividing up the calendar. And term 2 starts on Monday, yes, next Monday. That gives me about five days (since I don't have classes on monday) to head south to do some research  in a quaint but significant little municipal library and attend my first conference as a member of the Australian Studies Association of Japan, yes, all in a weekend, and a bit...


On the train, waiting

So once entrained, it was a matter of planning out the time. Unfortunately for me, the library is closed on Fridays which sort of robs me of a day but never mind. So the plan is to go to the library, go directly to the library without passing...any othe distractions one might like to spend time looking at...



These marvellous hydrangeas are in Wakayama too


Walking to the library

The tree silhouette caught my eye as we returned from dinner




It was a good start. Good material. And more, much more to the story I'm compiling on Japanese immigration to Australia in the 19th century.

[Camera : iPhone 6S, 7.21am; Lumix TZ-85, 12.14pm, 12.15pm, 7.44pm; 8 June 2016]