Monday 27 June 2016

Day 178 2016: There are all sorts of things...

Day 178: ...in the neighbourhood

To see and do. Makes you wonder really why one would travel an hour each way for a cup of coffee (Day 177) when there are coffee shops in the neighbourhood. OK, there is just one, and today there was a waiting time of maybe 15 minutes which is longer than I wanted to wait to sit down and have a coffee while reading students' work. 

So I declined the wait and went back home to make a coffee and read students' work. (Yes, I know dear reader I could have done that without going out but...it was Sunday...)

So I went home via the local Inari Jinja, one I've been to before. It is a little more run down since the last time I visited and the exploration was curtailed by a large sign warning of a large wasp nest on one of the dying trees (which came first of course, the dying tree or the wasp nest?). 

The main (original) gate

Shadows cast

Guardian

Other Guardian

Two trees without wasps

Root system

Looking a little tired

Maybe there's no-one left to look after it, maybe it will just be left to run itself down. It is just one block back from the main road so it can't be ignored. It's been around for a while so I will have to investigate further. I couldn't help but wonder, with the stone statues, how it might relate to the shrine on Fukushima. 

Looks like I've got a future weekend project at hand...just to take a break, from reading students' work over coffee.

[Camera : Lumix TZ-85, 6.07pm-6.10pm; 26 June 2016]