Friday 29 July 2016

Day 211 2016: Appreciating the rhythms...

Day 211: ...and small reassurances

Growing up by and in water, specifically the surf beaches of Sydney and the Gold Coast, you don't realise just how much you absorb in terms of the movement of the waves, the tides, the winds; knowing instinctively where there was a rip, or a good break to surf. 

I came to understand just how much I had taken for granted when I moved to Brisbane where people had had less exposure to the surf on a day to day basis. I've always felt calmest near the water, I think it is partly why I made such efforts to get to the beach when I worked up on the north coast. 

Coming up to the end of four months of having a huge body of water to watch over each day, I think I'm starting to feel calm and reassured all over again. There are certain patterns I'm noticing, the rhythms of the work and play of the port before me. 

Now that might end up meaning boring posts for you dear reader...'more of the same'...

The clouds gathering

The changing water surface

The busy-ness

The constant movement

The early evening sunlight on the campus (to highlight the green grass roof, it is not always all about the port...)

The setting sun lights the cranes and planes
...but for me, identifying the rhythms of the day, and the patterns and watching (occasionally) the flows and movements is just like being at home. And that is a great reassurance as I move through this midlife adventure. 

And for that, I am grateful. Every day.

[Camera : Lumix TZ-85, 12.54pm, 1.02pm, 3.14pm, 4.06pm, 6.12pm, 6.19pm; 29 July 2016]