Tuesday 11 October 2016

Day 285 2016: A bright start...

Day 285: ...a quiet day into night

Off to work, but teaching-free. Never mind, there is much to be done. (First and foremost, will the gates at the uni be open for us to get in? Yes, there are actual gates, open and closed each day.) 

A brilliant magenta start to the morning. I recall the colour 'magenta' from a *giant* box of textas I was lucky enough to own as a child, 36 pens in all. And *magenta* stood out--for its colour and its name and I've liked it ever since. 


Budding magentas

Having confirmed the gate was open when I got as far as the front gate, I spent a rather productive day on a combination of catch-up and forward-looking things (by which I mean abstracts for future conferences and book proposals). Amazing how much work you can do when you set your mind to it...

It was a little busier on the outside today compared with yesterday and although it wasn't officially a public holiday, there was a holiday feel about the place. 


Heading out

Clouds of steam...?

New ship in port, the research vessel Kaimei

Yesterday was orange, today is deep blue 'ships passing'


No more so than when I was back on the train on the way home. I managed to get through the gate which had been half-closed this evening (could I have been locked in?), but the trains were a little less crowded than usual. Perhaps everyone was in a quasi-holiday mode. 

Tomorrow it is the same all over again...rinse and repeat. I'm looking forward to the work.

[Camera : iPhone 6s, 10.17am; Lumix TZ-85, 12.52pm-12.58pm; 11 October 2016]