Friday 14 October 2016

Day 288 2016: It's been a slow week...

Day 288: ...and it's been an absolute luxury

There is a bit of a 'slow' movement going on around the place. 'Slow food' I think kicked off the trend, a time to slow down our fast pace of life, take time to breathe, make instead of microwave, grow instead of buy. 

It is moving across into other sectors of our lives as well and this week for me has been a revelation. I think, now that it is Friday, I might have had an accidental 'slow' week. And I'd like another one or three, thank you. It is not that I don't like teaching, but gee, I've appreciated this week just getting on with all the other work we have to do in between classes.

I've been to work everyday this week but instead of trying to play catch up with all that needs to be done, I've taken it all rather more slowly, relaxed and taken things a little easier, as a week without classes gives us the luxury to do.

Today, on the way to work I took it one step further. I usually grab lunch from somewhere and take it back to the office and eat it at the desk, reading the paper or writing a lecture, or marking a paper or...you get the picture.

Instead, I stopped along the way to eat lunch in the park near work and just sat and watched the world go by, for about 15 minutes. I spent an hour or so in the bank prior to that so I needed a spot of time out...

And while I sat, and watched, I set the shutter on the camera to snap every so often...just observing, just random. 

I sat down...

Leaf blower alert 1

Pedestrians

Leaf blower alert 2

'Click'

Park bench/hedge symmetry 

Others sit...

More pedestrians

Others sleep

Hello there

Turning

Web of life

Bikes

Sparrows

...and the pigeons 

Autumn has landed

On the path to work, as the crows fly (in the distance, into the wheel)



In the end, there's a touch of ordinary about the results. Nice and slow I think, just as it should be. Occasionally. 

[Camera: Lumix TZ-85, 1.54pm-2.11pm; 14 October 2016]