Saturday 5 November 2016

Day 310 3016: In pursuit of one's passions

Day 310: ... looking for boundaries finding rainbows

Another Saturday, another day at the office. I feel a bit bad. Right at the moment in Japan there is (another) big debate about the effects of overtime, serious overtime, on people's health and wellbeing and, sadly, death. People are working over 100 hours a month in addition to their standard hours. It is a problem. 

And yet, where do academics draw the line? Indeed, I dare not count my working hours.

It is hard to know. I was at work today because in a fortnight I'm presenting a paper (on the weekend) to a cohort of colleagues (who will therefore also spending their weekend 'at work') so I was putting together some of the presentation I'll be making. 

Hence today's pictures. They look like pics from Monday to Friday in a way. 

What's the collective noun for boats again? A flotilla?

Outward bound

As tall as is blue

Rainbow Bridge

Rainbow leaves 

Rainbow balloons 

Close call (not really)

Aww

Proof I did leave before dark


Still, one reason some of us become academics is that we really want to pursue our passions and there are no boundaries for that. I was in the office because I keep all my materials at the office, to offer a divide from home. If the material wasn't at the office, it would probably be at home where I'd be working on it anyway. No, no boundaries. 

Although, I did take the evening off to see the incomparable Simone Young conduct the Tokyo Symphony. Now that reminds me, I must get back to my other passion...the bass clarinet. One day. When the research is done. 

[Camera : Lumix TZ-85, 12.32pm-12.44pm, 2.00pm; iPhone 6s, 4.53pm; 5 November 2016]