Monday 28 November 2016

Day 333 2016: On a sparkling morning...

Day 333: ...it is all about the performance really

Or, life as an extra. Which is what being an academic feels like at times...just an extra in someone else's life drama. 

And that actually happened today. The first Monday of the new term and I was heading in to take the first lecture of a new course, Japanese politics--something I've studied and researched in one form or another for thirty years and last taught back in the early 2000s before politics courses were overwhelmed by terrorism. 

It was a joy to be back teaching this subject and this time to a group of students  at a Japanese university, mostly Japanese but some Chinese and Korean students too. 

It was a sparkling day, to start. Literally. As you know, dear reader, I have one of the best office views anywhere, and the sunlight on the water danced across the morning. 


Shine on, in passing 

Visage under the bridge

Fly away


Just before the first class however, I noticed that some of life's extras of another kind were working outside. I have mentioned previously the apparent suitability of the port environment for filming. And that was happening, again, right before my eyes. 

Receiving instructions

Trying out

More advice

Fixing the costume 

Another practice

One more try

Behind the scenes scene

All the extras, waiting patiently

That's a wrap, for today


Fascinating to sit in a spot where the overview of the scenes and the behind-the-scenes scenes are so interesting. It was a long day for the extras too, but I bet, like me, they were more than happy in their roles.

As for my class? Yeah, it went along OK. I'll be back. 

[Camera : Lumix TZ-85, 9.10am-9.16am; 9.55am-9.57am, 2.49pm-3.53pm; 28 November 2016]