Saturday 17 December 2016

Day 351 2016: On being formally conferred nerd status...

Day 351: ...just another Friday night in Tokyo

There are some days you just want to squirrel away, doing your work, undisturbed by the outside world...it is nerdish perhaps, but there you go. Sometimes it is the only way to get your work done.

And then there are those times when people learn about what you do and want you to share it with the world (or at least an audience in a mid-sized pub in Tokyo). That's what happened tonight. As much as I tried to resist, on the basis that my 'science' wasn't quite the science of nanotechnology and food chemistry, I was drafted into the NerdNite Tokyo program. 

Would people really want to talk 'politics' in a pub, on a Friday night with a few beers under the belt? 

Well, I spent the day at work wondering just that, as I watched the world go by. 

A new taste sensation, apropos nothing in particular 

Just a glorious winter's day

I'd rather be...

...probably photographing this

Human walking the dog walking the human


Then, come the night, the waiting, the anticipation...

I arrived nerdishly early

An interesting pub

Preparations for a grilling

One of my co-presenters

Good Heavens indeed


It was an interesting night. To say the least. I never expected to be drafted into the school of nerds, officially. But there you go. Life works in strange ways sometimes. 

[Camera : Lumix TZ-85, 8.24am, 11.45am, 3.51pm-3.55pm, 7.16pm-9.20pm; 16 December 2016]