Monday 19 December 2016

Day 354 2016: Watching as the ship comes in...

Day 354: ...and day turns to...er, musty evening 

We're headed towards the last week of teaching until we take a short break for the New Year and then it will be back into it. Classes finish next Monday, yes, Boxing Day Australian time, just another day, Tokyo time. 

Then there will be another four weeks of classes until the end of January and essentially, that will be it, my first academic year pretty well done and dusted here in Tokyo. It seems like it has gone quickly when you think of it that way but the academic year proper doesn't finish until 31 March next year. That day will be one full year, officially. I still suspect it will seem to have gone quickly. 

The February-January non-teaching time is actual research time. Unlike my Australian counterparts who tend to have to work through such times with administrative demands, it seems for us here it is time for reading and writing, conference attending in real time. I'm looking forward to that. A straight couple of months to do all that writing. Come the new academic year, I hope that I too will have my 'ship' come in as it were, with quite a few articles starting to come through the pipeline. 

The early morning shine

Under the bridge

Ye olde and new

Working port

Sun setting colours 

Evening falls

Taking off


Maybe even the odd book or two. Then things will really start to take off. This room with a view really has some metaphorical powers...I'm feeling inspired.

[Camera : Lumix TZ-85, 8.55am-9.11am, 4.11pm-4.13pm; 19 December 2016]