Thursday 22 December 2016

Day 356 2016: We work hard for our money...

Day 356: ...some just harder than others

Labour. Earning your keep. Work. What is it all about? How and who determines who earns what and how? These are probably prognostications for the other blog, some day. But I do wonder occasionally. Sometimes, as academics, we feel under pressure, overworked, under appreciated and ofter, comparatively under-remunerated.

And then...

Sometimes I look out the window to see others in their daily labour and realise how fortunate I am. Such was today. With no classes today. I was able to meet up with some colleagues, one visiting from Australia, one the way to work. Coffee, lunch etc. It was work-related as we discussed research, teaching, future institutional collaboration...after all, it is against the academic code of practice for academics to merely discuss the weather when they huddle in a group. 

But still, others would look at us and say ' and you call that work'?

Especially the people outside my office today. Work. Labour. Elements of danger...

Operations

Through the haze

There was quite a bit of it about

Scaffolders

How do you 'choose' this job? 



Yes, thank you. I'll take my job, appreciate it and work just that little bit harder. 

[Camera : Lumix TZ-85. 2.37pm-2.42pm; 21 December 2016]