Thursday 19 January 2017

Day 19, 19 Jan 2017: Light bulb moments...

Day 19: ...inside and out

The semester is drawing to a close. We begin to reflect on what we've achieved this semester, this past academic year. I just say, I'm suddenly feeling the enormity of what I've done in the last 10 months--packed up, moved countries, written several new courses all delivered in Japanese. I haven't really had time to pause and reflect I suppose. 

It is down to the last couple of classes now too for my seminar group, the group of second year students, about to advance to third year, with whom I will carry over a key mentoring role until they graduate in a couple of years time. 

That is some responsibility. And today, to their credit, we seemed to have hit that 'light bulb' moment that I so enjoy with teaching--they seem to have finally become quite comfortable in each others presence and are starting to explore, challenge and think about each others views and how they agree and or disagree with each other. 

It is rewarding. 

A bit of light bulb changing was going on outside today too as the port and surrounds went about its business. 

So that's how it is done...

Natural light, artificial light

And the bridge

Just the one passenger

End of day-light


And a nice bit of colour to finish off the daylight, just prior to another staff meeting...another place for pausing, reflecting and, well, it was a staff meeting. Perhaps the less said the better. 

[Camera : Lumix TZ-85, 12.51pm-12.52, 4.24pm; 19 January 2017]