Thursday 2 February 2017

Day 31, 31 Jan 2017: And that's a wrap...

Day 31: ...but we're not really going away

Last day of semester today, last class done by midday, end-of-semester party with my seminar group in the evening. That's the nice thing about teaching here--the seminar group. Fourteen students who will be my direct responsibility until the graduate in two years time. We have a few things besides parties planned...but that is for later.

All that means for me now is a mountain of marking and grading to complete between now and the weekend before I get back to my two conference papers I'll be presenting between now and the return of the new academic year. 

And such contrasting papers: one on Kantian interpretations of the Japanese constitution for a conference in Chicago...perhaps by then Trump will be at war with Japan and I'll be barred from entering the country; the other on a history of surfing in Japan for a symposium on the Gold Coast in March...right back where this adventure began, at high school on the Coast. Talk about full circle...

And so it was, out on the water...a few sparkles, a few ripples...

Revitalising sparkle

In on the shine

Plotting

Planning 

Lone reccy


...and the pigeons, by the (albeit small) flock, I wondered what they were looking for, back from their winter break, ready for spring? I guess they don't really go away either.


[Camera : Lumix TZ-85, 10.06am, 10.20am, 12.27pm-12.28pm, 1.48pm; 31 January 2017]