Tuesday 9 May 2017

Day 129, 9 May 2017: Waiting for your ship to come in...

Day 129: ...and getting roped in

I have to put on my 'happy' hat tomorrow. Today was the day for preparing for that. I am affiliated with my university's Happiness Research institute and with that comes some occasional obligations outside the research parameters. 

This term we are running a special course for undergraduate students whereupon several of us take a couple of lectures and workshops to speak to the students about 'happiness' from our respective research areas. Mine is politics, and international relations. I know, I hear you...happiness? in politics? in the world (as it is)? 

Yeah, a challenge. 

But then again, I'd rather be doing that than trying to park a large ship in a narrow port, (or even be a little boat trying to park a large ship in a narrow port). 

That's what caught my eye today...

Happy colours

The littlest boat

Big front

Anticipating...

Out goes the rope (good throw)

Followed by many more

From all points

But the anchor didn't go down


The ship Kizuna (a cable-laying ship I gather) took some time to berth this afternoon, and I waited a while for that anchor to go down. It didn't. As a photographer anticipating something, I wasn't very happy. 

But then we returned to our respective jobs and carried on regardless. Happy or otherwise. 

[Camera  : Lumix TZ-85, 1.12pm, 4.07-4.43pm, 5.06pm; 9 May 2017]