Sunday 14 May 2017

Day 134, 14 May 2017: Another day at the beach...

Day 134: ...for research purposes

It is true, dear reader. I am taking this surfing research very, very seriously. In fact, so seriously, on the way to Kamakura today I did hold a lengthy internal dialogue with myself as to whether or not joining the surf club might indeed inhibit my ability to conduct fair and objective research...

Well, I'm continuing that discussion even though I am now back from the beach and a fully paid-up member of the Kamakura surf scene. Indefinitely. Have even checked out a little B&B just up the road where I might have to stay overnight every so often, just to observe the morning surfing rituals. 

Ironically, I probably won't get a chance to get back to this beach for a couple weeks. There is a surf competition out in Chiba next week I should go and see...

Meanwhile, although there weren't too many waves out there today, those that were in seemed to make the most of them. I wasn't one of them. Not this time. I'll bring my gear with me next time.

The first thing you see...

Gone surfin'

Making the most of it

Not as busy as I thought

Waiting

So Mac, about today's waves...waddya reckon mate?

Passing through

Shore break

Share and share alike

A set comes in

The sun came out briefly

The headland

Flotsam

Lip

Breaking

Foaming

Mini barrel

Open ride

Stacked

Abandoned anchors

Fishermen's ropes

Last waves for the day 

Done

One more

Race to the break



Even though I didn't get in the water today (I've navigated bigger ripples in the puddles back home), it is still lovely to get down to the beach, smell the surf air, and take in the sights. It is kinda nice to know this is going to be part of my work/life balance, quite literally, for the next few years.

[Camera : Lumix TZ-85, 2.40pm-5.27pm; 14 May 2017; Happy Mothers Day!]