Wednesday 24 May 2017

Day 144, 24 May 2017: On returning to my alma mater...

Day 144: ...or, one of them

When you've attended as many universities and gained much from each of them as I have, it is sometimes difficult to call one your 'alma mater'. I've spent considerable amounts of time at two universities in Brisbane and two in Tokyo. One of them, Tokyo University, I revisited this evening to attend a public seminar on Trump and East Asia, a topic I am writing on at the moment. 

It was a bit of a tough call. It coincided with my gym time and so far I've only been once this week...

...but work beat fitness for just this day. There was plenty to see during the day including the fascinating clouds...

Be the one that stands out

The plane, the clouds

The bridge, the clouds



But later in the day it was, after all, visit the old campus, walk through the famous grand red gate and although the seminar was held in a new and rather fancy building which wasn't there in my day, some of the older buildings remind, with all their charm. 

Akamon, the grand red gate

The Fukutake Hall, grand

Old school

Here, for this

Timber impressiveness 


If there were to be a pecking order in my universities, it would have to start with Griffith where my interest in Asian Studies started, my time at Daito Bunka where I invested much time learning all about Japanese politics, Tokyo University where the intrigue of international relations took hold; finally, UQ where I finished it all off (or reached that point where the questions keep coming...). Research. It never really ends.

[Camera : iPhone6S, 11.35am, 1.37pm, 3. 57pm, 6.02pm-8.19pm; 24 May 2017]