Sunday 17 September 2017

Day 251.2, 8 Sep 2017: Helsinki 1...a few other sights

Day 251.2: ...on water experiences

So much to do and see. Part of the hop-on, hop-off bus tour included a 90 minute trip around the canals, setting out from Market Square docks. As a bit of a port and on-water-type person myself, what excuse did I have to not hop on? Why, none, of course. 

This trip too had a bit of a Sibelius motivation for me. Knowing he was inspired by nature and given I always conjure up forests and lakes when I think of his work, I thought this might give me another angle on his work. 

Every port, a wheel...


ye olde clubbe of sorts

Overseeing our safe passage out

Grande

Rock shelfs everywhere, boating nightmare

Masts

The fort, from a distance

Family Sunday

Big Red

Tucked under the pines

That granite foundation, again

into the woods

peeking out

More grandness

Very Finnish

Water views

Boulder

Someone's sauna

Beyond the bay

Nestled in

Through the trees

Just passing (another sauna)

Resting

Greenery

Up market

Passing through

Grafitti one

Grafitti two

Beached flock

One of the newer planned communities




Olde school summer house

All different sorts of communities have settled in the canal area, old communities, summer houses for the rich, new communities and even planned communities. Sauna houses abound, as the boat guide said, Finns really love their saunas. 

It was a pleasant enough run through the waters...I'd like to go back one day. There is the old fort, Suomenlinna, that I didn't have time to see, and a zoo too.

And this is just day one...


[Camera : Lumix TZ-85, 2.38pm-3.41pm; 8 September 2017]