Sunday 17 September 2017

Day 252.2, 9 Sep 2017: Helsinki 2...strolling around...

Day 252.2: ...*eat* like Sibelius

And so after the Open Day, what next? As it happened, the Music Centre is right next door to Finlandia Hall, a quite significant building for those of us in the international relations field. It is here where the Helsinki Accords were signed in 1975, in an attempt to bring some semblance of peace between the East and West during the Cold War. 

It is also a great example of the work of Alvar Aalto, he is to architects what Sibelius is to musicians...

Unfortunately, being Saturday, I wasn't able to go inside for a look, but outside was grand enough. 


Seems every town has one now

Majestic building

Coincidentally, the name of one of Sibelius's most famous pieces

Down the drive way

A view across the stairs

Sits on a lake, and across the way is the amusement park, Linnanmaki

Bold

Softened by the park

Converted nearby former residences

Autumn leaves, already

Near Finlandia

Opposite the Music Centre, is Parliament House, so naturally, what was a psephologist to do...?


Big Parliament

Close to the entrance

Relief map

The closest this psephy gets to a parliamentary selfie

Base rock

Kallio, best find out about him since I'm staying in the district named after him
(or so I thought, apparently Kallio means 'the rock'; Kallio the man/statue was at various times President, Prime Minister and Speaker of the Parliament, a rock in a way I guess)

Streetscape, waiting for the bus

Another parliamentary peek


Back downtown, and though I hesitated at the seeming 'triteness' of it all, I decided to play full-on tourist and eat the Jean Sibelius set menu at Kapelli, a cafe/restaurant where the man himself liked to enjoy a meal (and cigar, I held off on the latter). I was even seated in the older bar section so imagined the place in the time of Sibelius as I worked my way through a full three course menu...can't remember the last time I did that. 

Waiting, with anticipation

Duck breast salad for starters

Salmon!

Fruits for dessert (and fruit derivatives)

A bit luxe, but you're only a tourist once

I ate here!

Hop on a tram, back to base in Kallio. 

The Weekend pub tram

Whereupon I caught the right one back to base

In search of the perfect chocolate...

Sleep well, for tomorrow is the day, the big day...

[Camera : iPhone6s, 2.28pm-6.32pm; 9 September 2017]