Sunday 17 September 2017

Day 255, 12 Sep 2017: Helsinki 5...Forced to choose...

Day 255: ...with weather and time constraints

Last day. Last morning to be more precise. Do I have time to work out how to venture to the other side of town and visit the Finland Museum of Photography, or do I stay local, hang in the neighbourhood and visit the Kallio Church which plays, you guessed it, a carillon composed by Sibelius, everyday at 12.00noon and 6.00pm...

And it is raining...again. 

The church is walking distance and I figure it is probably a nice way to walk around the neighbourhood to see what I might see.Plus, Sibelius.

At the church (which also has a small cafe so in the interests of helping out, I get coffee and a mandatory cinnamon bun) I am greeted by the musician-in-charge who bosts proudly that the most played piece of Sibelius music is not Finlandia, not Karelia Suite, but this piece played here, every day, twice a day. I guess that adds up. 

The Kallio Church

Apartments

From another angle

Apartment detail

Getting closer

Looking up

The view from the stairs

Up the stairs

Side door

Garden

Through the pews

And back out...


Turns out, I'm just in time for the midday performance (with accompanying dog yaps).



It only plays out for about five minutes, but still, it seems like a nice way to play out my short stay here. 

With an hour or so to wait for the taxi to the airport, I do some more wandering around the neighbourhood...


Flowers and raindrops

Rich red

Variegated 

Roundness

Wispy purple

Bear of bear Park

And his Cafe

Turns out Kallio is a bit trendy in a bohemian way

Solid door

Purples

Leafy fringe on solid rock

Butterflies

Almost at the amusement park

Trickle down

Pond park

A little damp moss

Back up the road

And to where it all started a few days ago



Thanks Helsinki, it's been grand. 

[Camera : Lumix TZ-85,11.16am-12.55pm; iPhone6s, video, 12noon; 12 September 2017]